Actually it's the old Nintendo game "Maniac Mansion" altered with a Rilo
Kiley spin on it, i.e. references to lyrics and stuff. Nothing too amazing,
but I think RK/MM fans will get a kick out of it. There's an infamous
Nintendo-Rilo connection because of The Wizard, so a Rilo Kiley
video game didn't seem like that much of a stretch. I tried to keep it
true enough to the original so that even people not familiar with MM will
"get" it.. and general enough so that you don't have to be a Rilo
The storyline is Duke's girlfriend Missy gets kidnapped by a mad scientist
named Dr. Frug who's under the influence of a mysterious "Fantom,"
so Duke and a couple of his pals have to go into this creepy house and
save her. Also living in the house are Nurse Edna (Dr. Frug's longtime
girlfriend), Weird Ed (their son), and the two tentacle brothers. You
can pick to play as Jenny and Blake, among others.
Warning! Not intended for anyone under 18. Like Rilo's music,
there's some profanity in there.
Not familiar with emulation? It's basically just playing video games on
your computer that weren't meant to be played on computer. You'll need
a program called a NES
emulator to play this game. You can find emulators, as well as a bunch
info on this kinda stuff at zophar.net.
Probably the most poplular NES emulator out there is NESticle..
however, I've found that sometimes NESticle sucks for Maniac Mansion (mainly,
the sound is jacked up depending on Windows/your drivers). FCE
Ultra is another good NES emulatior. (Mac users, try RockNES.)
So anyways.. navigate some of the links in the above paragraph to learn/download
what you need. Then download the game ROM (on this page, below).. unzip
the emulatior.. Open the emulator, configure your input/controller (use
your keyboard if you don't have a gamepad/joystick.).. and then you're
ready to go.
__how to play__
If you've never played Maniac Mansion before, it may take a while to get
used to, but once you do, you'll probably love it. The controller kinda
works like a mouse, in that you move the arrow over things and click on
them. You explore this big house, collecting items and whatnot. Not your
run-of-the-mill Nintendo game. The thing is to figure out what you're
supposed to do with the items and how that'll help you on your way. The
characters have different abilities and there are several different ways
to beat the game, depending on who you pick and what you do.
"MANIAC MANSION - THE RILO KILEY VERSION" ver
March 2003 - work begins on the hack.
May 2003 - version 0.9 finished and beta tested.
June 2003 - version 1.0 released.
[New versions may come out in the future if any major typos
or bugs are found, or I just get inspired to mess around with it some
A very special thanks to The
Almighty Guru for kindly lending his incredible tile editing skills
on a few things. And thanks to Rachelle
The Teddog for help with testing.
(if you've never played Maniac Mansion before, you should
definitely read over these general tips for the game.)
MANIAC MANSION HINTS
* You might want to have a piece of paper handy while you play to write
down numbers and keep track of which keys are for what.
* Don't forget to save every once in a while (push start).
* Try using the select button for quickly selecting common commands like
"get" and "open".
* Not every item in the game has a purpose.
* Dr. Frug has been known to set security access codes to the high score
of his favorite arcade game.
* Tiny writing could possibly be read by pointing a telescope towards
* Giving someone a phone call may distract them for a couple minutes.
* A high pitched sound can sometimes break glass.
* A loose brick or loose panel somewhere might help you out.
* Careful with the pool and that pool water.. could be dangerous.
* That crazy family is rumored to have painted over a door.
* If you find an envelope, you might want to use it again, so don't just
rip it open. Instead, steam it open somehow.
* Feeling weak? A couple reps on a weight machine could help you get buff.
* Radioactive water has been known to make plants maturate at incredible
speeds, but it can make them vicious and hungry. Maybe you can mellow
them out somehow.
* Jenny can play piano pretty well and would make a great addition to
anyone's struggling band; just give them a tape to prove it.
* Blake's good with hi-tech stuff and fixing many things.
* Jeff can fix phones.
* Jason is good at photography.
* Kimmy has a knack for improving other people's writing.
get stuck? feel free to email
me or you might try asking for help on a message board or mailing
list. (careful not to post spoilers)
thanks and enjoy.