three days
been caught
idiots
then she
mountain
stop

From Scott--

Jane's Addiction 4/23/91.

This was my first time seeing Janes Addiction. And while it was obvious they were a little tired, and the acoustics were pretty bad, they still put on a great show. They played very tight..started with up the beach..then whores..etc. I remember summertime rolls as being one of the most shockingly beautiful songs I'd ever heard played live. They ended the show with it and I remember Perry saying as it started..

"You guys are very lucky, because you get to revolt for real...we're a lucky generation..we really are." (I still remember that, for some reason).

You could tell the bad acoustics of the place didn't go unoticed by the band either. But it didn't slow them down. I left feeling like I had just seen about the best band I would probably see for the next five years or so. (Or at least until Lollapalooza came around four months later).

By the way I know the guy who wrote the Post review. We used to wait tables together. He was about thirty at the time, a frustrated musician himself. (A big fan of the late '70's, Nick Lowe/Elvis Costello school of music). A nice enough guy but kind of condescending in his own way, as you can tell from the review.

Jane's Addictions Rambling Jams FROM THE WASHINGTON POST 4/29/91.

Jane's Addiction came to the concrete cube of the Smith Center at George Washington University and turned it into a seatbox Tuesday night. At least it did on it's double time hip hop tunes, such as "Standing in the Shower" and "Stop", speedy funk at its best. But when the band went into its slower tunes, such a Three Days and the encore, Summertime Rolls, it sounded like an updated Grateful Dead, with meandering melodies and no real payoff.

The biggest Jane's Addiction hit, Been Caught Stealing, is one of the best of the sweaty tunes, and when it kicked in halfway through the set, the hardwood floor was literally bouncing with some 4,000 groovemeisters.. It seemd a tired version though, and the slow break inserted into the song took away from the relentless power that made it such a huge club hit. The whole band seeed a wee fatigued from its many weeks of touring Europe, and as this show was the first of another leg of a U.S. tour, one hopes it'll find some energy along the way.

Perry Farrell still exudes star quality, and the aggressive whine of his voice(somehow perfect for the songs he writes) was in great form though it got lost in the gymnasium acoustics. Guitarist Dan (yes he said Dan) Navarro did his best to provide a wall of sound but his tone was lost to the hall, and on "Three Days" he turned an aimless jam into ear mud. Farrell gave a couple of brief ironic lectures on chanigng the world, but he would have served his audience better by figuring out how to make the bands music match the dramatic stage sets.-Eric Brace

BACK TO THE LIST