Three Days
Mountain Song
Summertime Rolls
Jane Says
Classic Girl
Chip Away
Ted, Just Admit It...

From K--
My friend and I got to the Universal way early. We thought we were in the wrong place, but eventually people started showing up. When there were only a handful of people there, some wacky guy started talking to us. Actually I was glad because it was a boring wait. We talked for about 10-20 minutes about this and that, then he had to go 'do his thing'. I later found out the guy was 'Melrose' Larry Green, some crazy Howard Stern fan who's actually rather infamous, I guess.
Anyways... once we finally got in, we had decent seats, about 25 feet away from the tower where Perry sang "Summertime Rolls".
From all the negative reviews, I was expecting to hate Goldie with a passion. Well, I did hate him, but not with a passion. It might have been decent if he would've just turned the volume down a bit and layed off the annoying lights. My friend already had a headache before Goldie went on, so he was really not into it.
Finally Jane's came on. They 'rocked that shit,' as they say. The set list had no surprises, unfortunately. But they did have some fun with the songs. Flea really seems to be getting more comfortable in his new role. Dave actually seemed into the show. Steve was infallible as always. And Perry was sounding great.
"Ocean" was perfect. "Ain't" was the same as ever. "Then She Did" sounded real good. "Stop" was introduced by apparently the same woman who does it on Ritual. Flea had a cool bass fill before the break, normally done by Dave. "Three Days" was amazing. How could that not be anyone's favorite song?! They did a great version of "Mountain" too.
Most of the people in my section must not read the reviews on this site, because I was the only one watching the back door when Perry came out to go to the tower to sing "Summertime Rolls". That was a highlight for me.
Over to the acoustic stage. "Jane Says" was ok. After about a minute of "Classic Girl", Perry complained of technical problems, so some guys had to fit it, meanwhile Perry entertained us by talking about the bottom of the ocean, aliens eating our brains, and other out-there stuff.
About 5-10 minutes later, they played "Classic" all the way through. Perry teased us by quoting a line from "Kettle Whistle", before breaking into an extra extended version of "Chip Away".
Then, back to the main stage for "Ted". It sounded great. Dave demonstrated the many uses of the vibrator. The song built it's way up till the climactic end. Steve and Flea kept it going while Dave left his guitar and climbed up one of the dancer poles. Then that was it. No encore.
So, over all, this was the best show I've been to. The sound was great and I had a clear view of everybody. There was lots of love between the crowd and the band. Perry and Dave seemed to be kissing everybody they came close to (including themselves).

Check out E! On-line's mention of the show

BACK TO THE LIST